Sunday, January 10, 2016

Football, FitBit, and college reunion

It's 11:30 PM on Saturday night and I'm plopped here on the couch watching the Pittsburgh Steelers try and blow their playoff game to Cincinnati Bengals. The Steelers took a 15-0 lead into the fourth quarter but have gone into a long, deep slumber in this quarter and now trail 16-15 with about a minute and 30 seconds left. (Update: the Bengals live up to their "Bungles" reputation and put the Steelers in field goal position on a stupid personal foul penalty. The Steelers oblige by nailing the field goal attempt and winning 18-16).

So I received a FitBit for Christmas, and wowzers are those things addictive. I'm not sure if this was set arbitrarily, but FitBit has established a goal for me of 10,000 steps per day, which is approximately five miles. I have now broken the 10,000 step threshold five days in a row and any day that I DON'T hit the 10,000 mark will feel like a failure (and I know that sounds ridiculous). That's just my addictive personality for you. I'm easily obsessed.

A week ago today I attended a reunion of the guys who lived on my residence hall floor at Michigan State: East Shaw Hall Ground Floor "Nads." (All of the various floors in the residence hall had nicknames, and ours was one that I'm sure would--in 2015--be met with criticism and derision. Hey, it's juvenile humor, but most of us have fond memories of our "Nads" days and are still proud to call ourselves Nads.

The reunion was fun, and it was truly wonderful to see these guys again, many of whom I hadn't seen in 25+ years. The most amazing part was that as soon as I talked to many of these guys, their personalities, mannerisms, little quirks, and essence came back to me immediately. It was as if we picked up where we left off, albeit a little grayer, paunchier, but I hope a bit more mature.

No comments: