Sunday, June 30, 2024

SuburbsFest 2024

Seeing as how this is the last day of June, it seems appropriate and necessary to finish the month with a post.

Last weekend was SuburbsFest, which took place just north of Rockford, Illinois. For anyone who might be a first-time reader of this blog (yeah, right--who am I kidding?), I have mentioned SuburbsFest in the past, so just check the tags on the right side of this page.

This time, I got L. to come with me to the Fest. I was quite surprised that she wanted to come, and in fact had pretty much planned on not coming because it was on her birthday weekend. I assumed the last think she'd want would be to spend a weekend in Rockford, Illinois. It also seemed out of the question for me to come solo. Instead, she actually asked about it a few months ago and I was excited that she actually wanted to see what this thing was about.

This year's Fest was probably the most fun I've had, and a lot of it had to do with L. being there. Since all the official Fest activities took place between 6 and 9 PM, we were able to do whatever we wanted the rest of the day. On Friday the 21st we toured the Laurent/Frank Lloyd Wright house, and on Saturday the 22nd we visited the Anderson Japanese Gardens. Both places were beautiful and further proof that almost every place in the world has fascinating sites (and sights) to see and experience if you look hard enough. I give L. full credit for suggesting those two places to explore.

As for the Fest, it is fun to see all of those folks again, many of whom I consider friends at this point. Each night featured good music as well. The band Frank Muffin (de facto Rockin' the Suburbs house band) were tremendous fun as always, and I also enjoyed seeing the Rockford power pop band Half Catholic. I was happy to grab a copy of their 2023 EP, Art in Heaven, which has a definite Teenage Fanclub feel to it.

So it was a wonderful time at the Fest, and it's hard for me to believe it's been over for over a week already.

No comments: