Thursday, August 1, 2024

Redd Kross concert, part II

Picking up where I left off...

Dale Crover took the stage, but I don't think I even noticed he was up there until he began strumming his acoustic guitar. I was shocked at how few punters (I'm just gonna borrow that Britishism) were in the performance area, so I wasted no time in moving to the front.

Crover is an unassuming guy. He could easily be mistaken for one's friendly neighborhood record store clerk or oil change technician, but as soon as he starts performing, it's clear he is an intense and talented musician. That said, he has an easy rapport with the audience, asking us if we enjoyed his Detroit/Michigan music-centric pre-show DJ set (which featured the disparate likes of Ted Nugent and Question Mark & the Mysterians to name a few). The crowd approved enthusiastically. He played about a half dozen songs, reminding us that he had a solo album coming out in October, and at about 2/3 of the way through his set, assuring us that he'd play a few more songs and then bring the boys out for a rock show. (I'm paraphrasing).

Crover finished at about 8:45 and Redd Kross (with Dale) hit the stage at 9:00 on the dot, all dressed in white pants and white collarless shirts with colorful psychedlic patterns on the front. "The boys" launched into "Switchblade Sister" and the joyous rock show took flight. Younger brother Steven McDonald, on bass, is the comic ringleader. He clearly enjoys mugging for the audience and ironically goofing in stereotypical "rock star" poses. Older brother Jeff is, compared to Steven, a bit more subdued, but not above dancing, making faces, or placing a scarf over his head during one song. (Sorry, I can't remember which one). Lead guitarist Jason Shapiro seems content to remain on the side and rip the occasional searing solo, but when prodded by Jeff or Steven, he will mug and pose. The bottom line is all four guys seem to have a blast on stage, and their enthusiasm is infectious.

I remained about ten feet from the stage, but years of concert attendance has taught me to wear ear plugs. I want to preserve as much hearing as possible. My concert buddies J. and F. seemed content to hang in back, and I wanted to give them their space anyway.

Redd Kross played a set that covered their entire career and made me want to obtain ALL of their albums. There is so much stuff still out there for me to discover and absorb. I also think I should finally increase my Melvins and Dale Crover knowledge.

The band concluded the night by playing some nuggets from their early days and a rousing cover of "Crazy Horses," the wildest, heaviest song the Osmonds ever recorded. (A song that Ozzy Osbourne declared a personal favorite). If any readers out there have never heard "Crazy Horses," go to YouTube immediately--and then return to this post.

When the band left the stage and the house lights came on, we all walked away satisfied with the exhilarating rock show we'd witnessed.

[P.S., I wanted to include photos in this post, but I seem to be experiencing technical difficulties].

No comments: