Mega Detroit weekend, part 1
A no-frills blast through my weekend:
Then we decided to drive from Dearborn to downtown Detroit via Michigan Avenue, and I'm happy we did. Aside from being at the Henry Ford (Museum) and Greenfield Village (which doesn't really count), I can't remember the last time I was in Dearborn. I was impressed by how upscale it is, at least what I saw on Michigan.
We arrived in Detroit and had to drive around the block of our hotel a few times before we could squeeze into a valet spot. (Yeah, "first world problems"). After getting a valet to move our car to whatever vast, mysterious parking structure is used for valeted vehicles, we checked into the hotel (Element by Marriott Detroit--an extremely lovely place). Exhausted from our busy day, we ate dinner in the adjacent restaurant and I was delighted to see they had a Rusty Nail on their cocktail menu.
Saturday morning, we walked over to John King Books from the hotel. I hadn't been to John King in about 33 years. I had the same issue I had in 1993(ish): I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of STUFF in that decaying old factory-turned-bookstore. Though I saw plenty of books, nothing grabbed me. Frankly, most of the books I saw looked old and cruddy, and the one book I was most interested in (Summer of '49 by David Halberstam) was listed at $32.99, far more than I wanted to.pay. So I left this colossus of a bookstore empty-handed.
Our next destination was the Tigers baseball game against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Comerica Park. We had talked months ago about attending the game, but when I saw that Justin Verlander was scheduled to make his final major league appearance in the game, the decision was made. I snagged two nosebleed seats in section 346 of the upper deck, third base side. As it turned out, it's fortuitous I bought those tickets when I did because 41,000 other people decided to go, too.
Though the temperature was only in the upper 60s, sitting in direct sunlight got hot. (I will never stop complaining about the lack of shade at the soon-to-no-longer-be-named-Comerica Park. Fifth Third Park here we come. Blech!). Aside from allowing two solo home runs, JV pitched quite well in his 5 2/3 innings, but the Tiger hitters offered no run support, so it appeared Verlander would be tagged with a loss. In the most exciting finish I've ever seen in person at a baseball game, Eduardo Valencia hit a 2-run homer over the left field fence and the Tigers won, 4-3.
As for JV's dramatic exit from the game. I don't think anyone in the park other than manager A.J. Hinch (who orchestrated the whole thing) expected JV's daughter running out to the mound and giving her dad a hug before walking off the field hand-in-hand. In the moment, I thought it was clever and cute. It wasn't until I saw the video clip of it, and JV's tearful response, that it thoroughly wrecked me.
I will divide this weekend recap in half and return later with the Shannon/Narducy concert review.
Comments