Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Inspired by our recent viewing of the series The Other Bennet Sister (no, I have not read the book it is based on), I decided to take the plunge and go back and read the source material, yes--the O.G. text, the book that started it all...Pride and Prejudice. This was the first time I tackled an Austen novel since I read Persuasion in the mid-1990s.
I am popping in here to jot down some some informal observations while the book is still fresh in my memory. After I've accomplished this task, I'll feel comfortable in calling P&P a wrap.
Let me start with Mr. Darcy. It occurred to me that perhaps he, in the year 2026, would be considered to be on the neurodivergent spectrum. He speaks directly and honestly to a fault and he is awkward in social situations. Granted, that's not much to go on, but I'm simply throwing it out there.
Jane Austen is quite funny, and the pompous Mr. Collins, the melodramatic Mrs. Bennet, and the haughty Caroline Bingley provide comic relief throughout the novel. I'm not sure I had any idea how amusing Austen could be. (I have no memory of any humor in Persuasion, the only other Austen book I've read. However, I'm sure there's humor in Sense & Sensibility and Emma).
It took me a long time to become comfortable with Austen's ornate and, dare I say, antiquated, anachronistic writing style.(I mean, come on, this novel is over 200 years old!). I deemed it necessary to consult something called litcharts.com that contains brief chapter summaries, just to make sure I hadn't missed anything important. (A few times, I had missed something important).
I can't write about this book without mentioning the lead character, Elizabeth Bennet. She is intelligent, independent, and quite outspoken for the era. Her confrontation with Catherine de Bourgh near the end of the book was one of my favorite chapters.
I'll conclude by saying I'm happy I read the book, and after a brief recovery phase, just might take another plunge into Austen.
Comments