Sunday, August 24, 2008

Random thoughts

I'm afraid that "Brainsplotch" sounds too much like your stereotypical "blog-type name." Oh well, it adequately describes what this blog is going to be: my random thoughts on whatever subject comes into my head (and, in turn, feel necessary to send into cyberspace).

Before starting this entry, I was actually working on the book I am supposed to be researching and writing--a postcard history of Michigan State University. I've had the hardest time focusing on it this summer. Part of the problem is that I work forty hours a week and the other half of the problem is that I have two sons under the age of seven. Plus, my publisher is still deciding what images they want to use for the book. (So what, you may be asking, if I'm supposed to be working on a book, what am I doing wasting time on this blog when I should be putting nose to the grindstone? Put simply, this is more fun).

At four o'clock ET, the Big Ten Network is supposed to be showing the 1990 Michigan/Michigan State football game. (I say supposed to be showing because everytime I check the TV listing for the Big Ten Network and then actually switch over to the channel, it seems that something else is on. Thanks Comcast!). For those not in the know, this was the last time that my alma mater, MSU, beat the Wolverines in Ann Arbor. I was a "sort of" a senior at State that October of '90. I had essentially completed my coursework that June and was waiting to do student teaching in the winter term beginning in January '91. I happened to be visiting a friend at State that crisp Fall day. My friend, who wasn't that interested in football, was working during the game, so I stayed in his dorm room and listened to the game on the radio. For some reason that I can no longer remember, I wasn't able to watch it on television. The Spartans won the game by one point, 28-27 (due in part to a controversial non-call on a UofM two-point conversion attempt that would have given the Wolverines a one-point lead). Anyway, I have never actually "seen" this game, so I'm looking forward to it.

My oldest son wants me to go outside and play, so goodbye for now.

No comments: