Monday, September 15, 2008

Football, Sarah Palin, Tina Fey (and other thoughts)


Michigan State knocked off Florida Atlantic in a virtual monsoon at Spartan Stadium on Saturday. I still don't think we know anything about this Spartan team until they take on Notre Dame this coming Saturday. I will continue to maintain low expectations for this year unless proven otherwise.

I wasn't able to stay up to watch Saturday Night Live, but frankly I wasn't particularly interested in the "Michael Phelps as guest star" angle (and, in fact, have seen nothing of Phelps' performance or ever heard how he did). However, through the wonders of You Tube (by the way, I love You Tube) I caught Tina Fey as Sarah Palin. Oh my, was she good! She has the voice and mannerisms down perfectly, and she looks almost exacly like her. The only bright spot of a McCain victory would be that we'd be able to watch Tina Fey impersonate Palin on SNL for (hopefully no more than) four years.

Every so often, I'll dig through my musical archives and find a CD that I haven't played in awhile. When I'm driving to and from work, if I'm not interested in listening to NPR or our local sports talk radio (essentially the only two radio stations I listen to) I rely on music to occupy me. On Friday, I dug out The Velvet Underground and Nico, an album I hadn't listened to in at least a year. (Back when I was in college, when we wanted to act all arty and sophisticated--or so we thought-- we'd listen to the VU). Anyway, perhaps this is stating the obvious, but what a great album (and I do realize that I'm giving away my age by referring to "albums"). You have the lilting melody but completely paranoid lyrics of "Sunday Morning," the stateliness of "All Tomorrow's Parties" (maybe Nico's best performance), and Lou Reed channeling Dylan via Warhol's factory scene in "I'm Waiting for the Man" and "Heroin." I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the contribution of John Cale, who's viola and avant garde musical inclinations are all over this record.

That's all for now, I need to attend to my other daily responsibilities!

No comments: