Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'm still alive

This is a note to let everyone know that I am still alive, and apologize for not posting for over two weeks.

I am writing this on the new Dell laptop that my wife bought. This is the first time I've been able to use it. I am in the living room and carrying on a conversation with my four year old son, who is telling me about activity in his Fisher-Price dollhouse.

My son just turned four on February 26, and I will be turning 41 tomorrow. I don't have any special feelings about turning 41, except wondering how exactly I got this old. It does seem that the minute you turn 30, your life goes into fast-forward. I remember when I was young, my parents always told me that life goes by like a blur the older you get, and now I know what they meant.

I stressed out when I turned 39, realizing that it was my last year until 40. Once I actually turned 40, it really was no big deal. 41 just feels like a number.

Well, I am going to cut this short because my son (who cracked me up on his birthday when he said he wanted to still be 3 and not 4) is begging for attention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I can explain your fast-forward dilemma. Or, at least, explain it to you the way it was explained to me and hope it makes sense to you. The older you get, the faster time seems to go because the longer you live the shorter each duration seems in comparison to what you have already lived. For instance, at age one a year is your whole life but at age 50, it is only 1/50th of your life. Hope this makes sense. Probably not though.

Mark said...

That actually does make a lot of sense. I can remember summer vacations as a kid and how they seemed to last forever. Now summer goes by like a blur. I suppose the more life experience you have, the more time seems to get "smaller" or more compressed.