Monday, April 6, 2009

Pulling for the Spartans in Chicago

I am still on vacation with the family in Chicago. We spent most of yesterday at the Field Museum with our two young sons.

Saturday night, we watched the Michigan State basketball game from our hotel room here at the Courtyard by Marriott on State Street. What an exciting game, and I am so proud of this team. The groundswell of state pride (and by "state pride," I am referring to the state of Michigan) is truly moving. It feels like "our kids" (particularly because most of State's players are from Michigan or Ohio) carrying the banner for our downtrodden state. It's been nice here in Chicago, but there is definitely a part of me that wishes I was back home in Okemos to feel the hole vibe of this amazing conclusion to the college basketball season.

Could there be a more fitting final game of the NCAA tournament?: The "blue collar" midwestern kids from Michigan State against the much more lauded national recruits of the blue blood North Carolina Tarheels.

Regardless of what happens tonight, it has been a great season for the Spartans. Call me crazy, but I have a good feeling about tonight's game. It just feels like the stars are aligned for a Spartan victory.

Time for me to run, as we're getting ready to take the kids to Shedd Aquarium.

Go State!

No comments: