Thursday, July 2, 2009

Chilly day in Michigan

I've been seriously neglectful of this blog, so I've decided to not worry too much about how interesting my posts are, and simply write in here every day about SOMETHING, regardless of how trivial it may be. In fact, I'm going to attempt an experiment and make a concerted effort to write in this blog every single day for the month of July (and I'm not off to a good start because I missed yesterday, July 1).

Okay, talking about the weather is usually boring, and a sign that you don't HAVE anything to talk about, but it's unseasonably cold in Michigan today. It's been unseasonably cold for the last few days. Today's high temperature in Lansing was 58 degrees, yesterday's high was 61, and Monday was somewhere in the low 60s. The average high temperature for July in Lansing is 82. The average LOW temperature in July is the same as today's high. In typically freaky Michigan weather fashion, last week we had temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s. As the expression goes in these parts, "If you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes and it'll change."

My oldest son is suffering from what the doctors think is tendonitis in his knee, which has been going on since early June. It's been rough, with him in agonizing pain about every four or five hours. He's been on a steady diet of children's Tylenol for a few weeks, and begins physical therapy this Monday. I hope we see improvement soon.

I'm reading a great book right now, Boy Alone: A Brother's Memoir by Karl Taro Greenfeld. It's his memoir of growing up with a severely autistic younger brother, Noah. Noah became something of a celebrity in the seventies and eighties when the boys' father, Josh Greenfeld, wrote a series of books documenting his (and his family's) struggle to raise Noah. Karl, who is now 45 years old, is finally writing about Noah from his perspective. I'm finding the book fascinating. It's good to be able to read about someone else's difficult life to put your own life in perspective. Thank heavens neither of my sons are autistic, it sounds like a heartbreaking experience. I'll take tendonitis any day.

No comments: