Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Michigan State 24, Northwestern 14

What you've all been dying for, my weekly Spartan football report. I've been a little lazy this season. Last year, I'd write these little dispatches right after the game, this year I'm waiting until the middle of the week if I get them out at all. I'm sure all those football fanatics out there are simply starved for my brilliant insights, since there are so few football web sites and blogs out there.

Anyway, the MSU Spartans knocked off Northwestern on Saturday in what was a somewhat dull affair. At least the Wildcats didn't spoil this particular Homecoming.

In other Big Ten action, Michigan crushed Delaware State in the biggest mismatch I've seen all year (I watched some of the Big Ten Network's replay), Purdue upset Ohio State and dominated the Buckeyes in the process. Congratulations to the Boilermakers on a job well done. Every once in awhile the Buckeyes need to be humbled. Illinois was trounced by Indiana (!), further sealing Ron Zook's doom.

This Saturday, Michigan State and Iowa tangle in East Lansing for first place in the Big Ten. It's either a sign of MSU's resilience, or proof of the Big Ten's mediocrity, that a month after starting the season 1-3, the Spartans are actually playing for the top spot in the conference.

I don't have a read on this MSU/Iowa game. Iowa is undefeated, but the only win that was particularly impressive was their victory over Penn State. Regardless, any team that is 7-0 deserves some respect. The Spartans seem to have turned their season around, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Even in their three game winning streak, State has yet to play a complete game. They will definitely have to play 60 minutes of good football in order to beat Iowa.

No comments: