Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Terra Cotta Warriors" The 2010 Schuler Books & Music Fantasy Football League Champion

Several weeks ago I quit with my fantasy football updates, because I was sure that nobody could possibly care whatsoever about what my fictional team was doing--and even I was getting bored with the updates.

Anyone out there who remembers any of those fantasy football posts will recall that in my final update, I mentioned that my record was 6-2.

Well I'm back to let everyone know that, for the first time since I started participating in the Schuler Books & Music Fantasy Football League, I won the title. I've been doing this for eight years, and have never sniffed first place before, but this year absolutely everything came together and I breezed to the championship.

I had lots of luck all season, but also made plenty of roster moves that helped me along the way. I finished the regular season with a 12-2 record. In the playoffs, my luck continued: I was behind in my first round matchup, but got huge performances from Brandon Jacobs and Andre Johnson to pull ahead and win by 10 points.

In the two-week championship "game" I overcame a major brainfart (forgetting to tweek my lineup after the first week because I'd become preoccupied with Christmas wrapping) and still managed to win. This is where dumb luck really played a major role: My opponent had LeSean McCoy, the multidimensional Eagles running back, going for him last night. I was ahead by only 25 points and, along with the rest of the world, was convinced that Philadelphia would roll over Minnesota and McCoy would have a huge game. Somehow, the Vikings played out of their minds and held Philly to only 14 points, and McCoy was limited to a mere 85 combined rushing and receiving yards (which totals 8 fantasy points). Minnesota bailed me out. Thank you, Vikings.

After my forgetfullness with my championship game lineup, it felt like once again I'd fallen victim to self-sabotage. I'd intended on replacing the gimpy Knowshon Moreno and the erratic Brandon Jacobs. I had the Colts' Blair White, whom I intended on starting, and planned on picking up a hot running back off the waiver wire...it didn't happen. I woke up in a cold sweat at about 2:30 AM Wednesday morning, suddenly realizing I'd missed the midnight deadline to submit my "championship week two" starters. Still, I sent a desperate email to our league commissioner explaining my oversight. Rules are rules though, so I had to go with my previous week's starters. (Our commissioner is an attorney by trade, so I knew he'd show me no mercy). Luckily for me, it all turned out fine--but there certainly were some nervous moments this weekend.

Winning the league championship is a much more satisfying feeling than I'd ever imagined. It's the closest I will ever come to winning the Super Bowl or becoming Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, or Bill Belichick. Yeah, kind of pathetic, I'll admit. Winning the fantasy football league title has finally given me official sports fan geek status--and that's okay. I wear that title proudly.

I almost didn't participate in fantasy football this season. I'd become tired of paying my $20 entry fee every year only to finish in the middle of the pack (or in some years, near the bottom). Now, of course, I'm happy that I did. However, I know that it will NEVER get better than this season. Realistically, there's no way I can ever replicate it, or even come close to doing so. I am seriously considering retirement from fantasy football and going out on top.

No comments: