Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tragically Hip and other stuff

My copy of the Tragically Hip's new album, Now for Plan A, finally arrived in the mail today one week after it was released and over a week after I ordered it.  Yeah, I know, I could have downloaded it and been able to listen to it the day of its release, but I'm old-fashioned and wanted a physical copy of the album. I was willing to wait for the thrill of finding the package in my mailbox, ripping it open, and popping the CD in the disc player in my kitchen.

I get no thrill from downloading music, and in fact have had some horrible mishaps in which I've lost downloaded music into some electronic black hole, so I will probably be the last person on earth to continue buying CDs.

Once I have a chance to give it a proper listen with pen and paper in hand, I'll bore all of you with a little review in this blog.  I like what I heard when I played it earlier today, but it was more background noise as I was busy doing other things around the house.

Oh yeah, not only did I finish reading the Damien Echols book, but I finally finished the Dan Wakefield book I mentioned earlier. What a fun read that was. I'd characterize it more as a "guy book", as the two protagonists are young ex-GIs trying to navigate their way through sex, love, relationships, crazy conservative parents, and more sex. This is not to say women wouldn't enjoy the book, but I think men would certainly relate to it more--and some women may be turned off by these guys's absurd and naive attitudes towards women. (But keep in mind that this book takes place in 1954).


No comments: