Saturday, January 28, 2017

Has it really only been one week?

We're one week into the Trump presidency and already we're seeing what life under a fascist kleptocracy looks like...and it ain't pretty.

The unhinged executive orders have come with such an intense flurry that it's hard to keep up with them. It's also hard not to become overcome with a profound sense of despair.

I knew life under President Trump would probably be horrible, but it it's even worse than I imagined. The country has become one dominated by fear and hate. We have a president who has no respect for the office, nor any respect for the citizens of the United States. I get the sense that the only reason he wanted to become president was to settle scores and get even with enemies.

I have done what I can to fight back in my own small way. The entire family attended the Women's March in Lansing last Saturday. It was inspiring and heartening to be a part of 9000 like-minded people descending on the state capitol. The march made me think that perhaps I--and others on the left--have been too complacent for the last few years. Perhaps if we'd been just a little more proactive in the months leading to the election, we could have avoided this disaster. But there's no point in "what ifs," we just need to not be complacent NOW and resist, resist, resist.

No comments: