Monday, July 6, 2020

A strange Fourth of July

I don't like the Fourth of July under normal circumstances, but this year it was particularly depressing. But hey, at least I didn't have to go to any annoying fireworks display, dealing with mobs of irritating people. I just had to listen to people in my neighborhood blowing stuff up until midnight--though it sounds like I had it better than others in my area, who had amateur fireworks making noise until 1:30 AM. It was a strange Independence Day overall. The only "normal" part of it was grilling burgers and hot dogs. In any event, that is about as close to the typical form of celebration I ever choose to do on the Fourth of July.
 
If I ever go to a fireworks display, it is out of a sense of obligation. I enjoy the visual display of professional fireworks (though they are pretty much all the same) but the worst part of them is getting there, dealing with mobs of annoying people, and then trying to get the hell out when it's over. At least I didn't have to deal with that this year.
 
Watching Hamilton on Disney+ was as close to "patriotic" as I got this Fourth, and even that was slightly depressing. There was actually a degree of optimism in the country when Hamilton debuted in the mid-teens, and has all but disappeared in 2020. Still, despite the tinge of sadness, I enjoyed viewing Hamilton and became quite emotional throughout the entire broadcast. Part of that is from the story itself (I mean, who doesn't get choked up when--spoiler alert--the Hamiltons' son dies?) and just the enthusiastic, positive exuberance of the whole affair. It's a flame that is currently virtually extinguished in the United States. Perhaps it's still flickering with the Black Lives Matter protests. Maybe the the young people in our country are throwing kindling on the flame right now. I sure hope so.

No comments: