Friday, March 26, 2021

Raw notes for The Godfathers' More Songs About Love & Hate

This is probably a bit self-indulgent on my part, but here are the notes I took when listening to The Godfathers' More Songs About Love & Hate. I thought it might be of some interest to some people (and probably completely boring for 99.9 percent of everyone else), but it's my blog and I'll do whatever I want--so there! So here are my musically uneducated off-the-cuff observations of each song on the album:


"She Gives Me Love"--Poppiest song on the album? Prominent drumming and wah-wah guitar. Good opener.

"Those Days Are Over"--Has an AC/DC "For Those About to Rock" feel with Byrds-y guitar break. Song about dissatisfaction or maybe warfare (either real of metaphorical).

"How Low Is Low"--Title says it all. More dissatisfaction sung over a Rolling Stones groove.

"Pretty Girl"--This could have been on a mid-'60s beat group album. Simple lovelorn lyrics and "yeah, yeah, yeah" vocals on the outro.

"This Is Your Life"--These guys can really write hooks, even when they lyrics are despondent and angry. Ends with the same chord played over and over to reinforce the feeling of pressure, drudgery, etc. (The chord is played 75 times in row, according to Trouser Press review).

"I'm Lost and Then I'm Found"--A chugging bloozy rocker which predicts the emergence of The Black Crowes that same year [Not that The Black Crowes were necessarily listening to these guys].

"I Don't Believe In You"--More "that girl done me wrong" lyrics. Rockin' and catchy, but filler.

"Life Has Passed Us By"--Our boys enter Kinks/Madness territory here. "Terry and Judy" rather than "Terry and Julie" of the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset. [If the previous song predicts The Black Crowes, this one predicts the Britpop of Oasis and Blur a few years in the future].

"Walking Talking Johnny Cash Blues"--Need I say this is a fun rockabilly tune. The bit about taking speed is funny, given it was once Cash's drug of choice.

"Halfway Paralyzed"--This could be the Richard Burton/Liz Taylor theme. [Google the lyrics and read them].

"Another You"--A pleasant if inconsequential closer. Twangy and surf-y guitar sound.



No comments: