Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Halle, Day three

(On the train to Berlin).

We got off to a late start yesterday, since Avery had to show a room in his apartment to a prospective renter.

So after breakfast--I should mention how much I have enjoyed the buffet in our hotel, as it seems a perfect combination of what an American (or Brit) might enjoy as well as what I remember from eating at the Winge's house in Radebeul--we went back to our rooms where I promptly fell asleep for about an hour.

Avery and Calder arrived at the hotel around 1:30 (or should I say 13:30) and headed out to too some shopping. (Though in truth it was more watching L.'s mom and a patient L. poke around shops while the rest of us stood around watching the crowds of people walking up Leipzigerstraße). I did find an oddball shop that sold a bit of everything: computer games, old magazines, and most pivotal: DDR relics. I bought a "7-year plan aktivist 1966" medal for a whopping 5€. I was happy with that find.

We eventually made it to the large church in the market square--I'll add the name in here later--where Martin Luther once preached and Handel was baptised. It was built in the 16th century. I will never tire of the sheer number of ancient/old buildings here.

We made it to the church just as a thunderstorm started raging outside and buckets of rain fell for about a half-hour. Thankfully, the storm ended at 4:00, just as the church was closing for the day.

I then finally made it to B12 Music, the record shop in Halle I really wanted to hit up. It's a great place: small but with plenty of great stuff. I could have spent hundreds of euros there, but ultimately only bought an old Kinks compilation on the East German Amiga label. The proprietor of the record shop, an aging--which means he's probably only slightly older than me--hippyish dude asked me and Avery where we were from. I said, "United States, U.S., Michigan." He excitedly exclaimed, "Ah! Detroit!" And I said, "Yes! Detroit!" It was a funny moment.

We concluded the evening with a truly great dinner in the hotel restaurant.

No comments: