Saturday, February 3, 2024

Rest in Power, Brother Wayne. (Wayne Kramer, 1948-2024)

WAYNE KRAMER (Scott Dudelson/Getty Images)
              

On my drive home from work yesterday, I saw the news that Wayne Kramer, MC5 guitarist and overall legendary Detroit rock musician, had died. It came as a shock, because the last I had heard, within the last few months, was that Wayne was set on recording a new MC5 album and doing live dates. (I won't get into the dubious nature of a new "MC5" album with only one of the then two surviving members participating, but the idea of new music from "brother Wayne" was exciting). To find out that he'd succumbed to pancreatic cancer was a total shock. I can only assume that in the usual "older Midwestern guy" tradition, he'd kept his condition a secret.

I then remembered the one time I saw Wayne Kramer in a live setting, when I caught the "MC50" show at the Fillmore in Detroit, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Kick Out the Jams album. I inexplicably never mentioned it in this blog.

Here is what I wrote in Facebook back in 2018:

"Wayne Kramer and his band of all-star players put on a loud and incendiary show last night. Marcus Durant (Zen Guerrillas) channeled the energy and look of Rob Tyner. Matt Cameron (Pearl Jam/Soundgarden) and Brendan Canty (Fugazi) were more than adequate in replicating Dennis "Machine Gun" Thompson's drumming. Wayne and Kim Thayil meshed well together on guitar. Billy Gould (Faith No More) was on bass.

"Wayne looked like he was having a blast, and it couldn't help rubbing off on the other guys.

"In addition to the entire Kick Out the Jams album, the band played eleven additional MC5 songs, and Wayne (and Marcus) had some brief but pointed thoughts about the current political situation and urged everyone to vote, before launching into a fiery "Lookin' At You."

"The show lasted until midnight and we didn't get home until after 1 AM. We are fried and our ears are ringing! But it was so worth it."

In addition to Wayne Kramer and his MC50 band, other Detroit rock luminaries Detroit Cobras (R.I.P., Rachel Nagy) and Easy Action (featuring howling wild man John Brannon, also of hardcore punk band Negative Approach and incendiary blooze punk Laughing Hyenas) opened the show. It was one of the greatest evenings of music I've ever experienced.

I am now seeing "true testimonials" (MC5 joke) from folks who met Wayne and have nothing but good to say about him. He seems to have been a no-nonsense, no bullshit--yet warm-hearted--guy who never fogot his blue collar Michigan roots. Unfortunately, I never met him. The closest contact I has was when I drew a picture of him in celebration of his 73rd birthday and posted it on Instagram. He gave it a "like," which was exciting for me.

The caption--my "true testimonial" if you will--captures my relationship with and fandom of the MC5. Rest in Power, Brother Wayne. (I tried to post the drawing, but Blogspot freaked out and it looked terrible, so I will just write the text of my testimonial:

"Growing up in the Great Lakes State, one would think that the MC5 and other Michigan bands (like the Stooges) would be either taught in schools or otherwise disseminated more widely among the youth. But this never happened when I was young, because I believe the powers that be in Michigan were (and perhaps still are) embarrassed by the loud, wild, incendiary craziness of this music. Better to let the kids discover it on their own. If first heard of the MC5 back in 1986 when I was a freshman in college. Attempts to find any of their albums [were] fruitless. I did not own or even hear an MC5 album until Kick Out the Jams was finally issued on CD in 1991. This began a 30-year (and counting) love of the band, including this little salute to Wayne Kramer on his birthday (April 30)."

Anyone unfamiliar with Wayne Kramer or the MC5, but curious to explore further, here are my recommendations: the band only released three albums in their lifetime. Though Kick Out the Jams in the most famous, I'm not sure that is the best place to start--unless you like loud, muddy live, ever-so-slightly out-of-tune rawk music. This might be a controversial opinion, but I rate it last among their three albums. (Even the guys in the MC5 didn't like it much). Outside of the title track, which is brilliant, it doesn't do a lot for me and it's the one I reach for the least. I'd go with their final album, High Time, and then if you like that, listen to the second album, Back in U.S.A. Then, pick up Kick Out the Jams. Of course, living in the world of streaming, why not just go the streaming service of your choice and put MC5 on shuffle.

As for Wayne Kramer solo, give The Hard Stuff a listen and see how you like it. It's his best solo album as far as this writer is concerned.

Once again, rest in power, Wayne Kramer.


No comments: