Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Facebook obsession

I've got it bad for Facebook, and I don't know if there is a cure.

Around the same time I started this blog, I opened up a Facebook account. My rationale was innocent enough: I found an old college acquaintance of mine who was on Facebook and the only way for me to get back in touch with him was through Facebook.

After a few days, though, I saw all the little things you can do on Facebook--become a fan of so-and-so, upload pictures, continually revise and update your profile (as if anyone really reads that anyway) and, of course, search and search and search for people.

Now it seems I'm on Facebook first thing every morning, and first thing when I get home from work. I've become obsessed with checking my in-box, checking other peoples' updates, checking to see if anyone has commented on my status, etc. It is the worst time-suck ever invented--although, in its defense, I have re-connected with people I have not spoken to or seen in over 15 years.

So, tell me, is there a cure to Facebook obsession?

No comments: