Saturday, September 12, 2009

Worst (football) fears confirmed: Central Michigan 29, Michigan State 27

I was at the game, with seats that, unfortunately, happened to be in the CMU section. They had every right to go nuts, but it sure was hard to take. Lots of "Fire Up Chips" crazies at the game, who looked like they'd been pounding the adult beverages since early Friday morning.

I'm not proud of some of my behavior during the game. I didn't get in the face of any Chip fans (thankfully), but I did blow my stack more than a few times. Let's say that some f-bombs were hurled and my MSU baseball cap took a beating from being tossed on the ground. Not cool, and I should have controlled myself. I have really got to learn not to take these games that seriously, particularly after what I went through with my son this summer. It's only a darned game, for crying out loud.

I did congratulate several CMU people after the game. In fact, I impulsively offered my ticket stub to some random guy in CMU garb whom I saw outside the stadium. He turned it down. Then it occurred to me that Michelle H., who works at the downtown Lansing library and has a daughter in the CMU marching band, should receive this ticket stub as a memento.

I should also mention that, nice guy that I REALLY am (honestly!), I took several photos of the CMU marching band for Michelle.

Hats off to the Central Michigan football team. Those guys came not just to compete, but to win. That team runs the spread offense as well as any team I have seen, and Dan LeFevour is a great quarterback. I have seen enough CMU games over the last three years to know the skills that this young man brings to the table. Don't be a bit surprised if you see him playing in the NFL next year.

Having written all that, MSU played a poor game. Way too many untimely penalties (most glaringly on CMU's first attempt at the winning field goal. If MSU doesn't jump offside, the game is over).

Just an awful game in so many ways for the Spartans. Muffed onside kick anyone? Ugh! (My sight angle of that kick was terrible, and I've heard from those who had a better view that it was one of the best onside kicks they've ever seen. CMU executed to perfection the entire game-- MSU not so much).

Kirk Cousins earned the starting quarterback job as far as I'm concerned. So maybe that controversy will end. Nichol is definitely more mobile, and showed some of his quick moves, but also had some godawful throws.

Where was Greg Jones today? (Turns out he had 15 tackles in the game--how did I not notice?). Perhaps a better question is why were our defensive backs abused all day, why was our offensive line manhandled by Central? Terribly, terrible frustrating.

We need Joel Nitchman to get healthy for next week's game against Notre Dame. Can't underestimate the importance of a fifth year senior center anchoring your offensive line.

Need to keep things somewhat in perspective. Cousins and Nichol are still relative greenhorns. Baker and Caper are freshman and will hit those holes better as time goes on. Dion Sims is also a freshman and will improve.

Blair White sure does remind me of Kirk Gibson. I love the way that kid plays and would love to see him get a chance to take his game to the next level. He should be a true inspiration to any athlete who is ever told that he or she is "not good enough." Just great to see a one-time walk-on become a star of a major college football team.

CMU's receivers made some phenomenal catches today. I was very impressed with them.

Hope for better things next week against Notre Dame.

No comments: