Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dispatch from my boring life

I'm back! Once again, sorry to my loyal (but I imagine, dwindling) fans for my neglect of this blog.

What's going on in my life?

I'm excited that the Knapp's building, the art deco/streamline moderne jewel in downtown Lansing, is slated to be restored and re-adapted. Knapp's was a Lansing department store, akin to Hudson's in Detroit and for over 40 years, its flagship store was in this beautiful building in Michigan's capital city. Unfortunately, like many other downtown department stores, it died--closing its doors in 1980. For several years, the State of Michigan used the building for offices, but that ceased in 2002 and the building has been empty ever since. I work only two blocks away from the Knapp's building and walk by it literally every day. It's depressing to see the way it has slowly deteriorated, but I'm now hopeful that the building will be rejuvenated and resuscitated.

Recently my house has become overrun with plastic dragons, all of which have their plastic wings constantly falling off. Modern toy manufacturers seem incapable of producing any toys that come in one piece. Damn you, "How to Train Your Dragon"!

Sort of find myself in a grey area no man's land, sports-wise. NCAA basketball is over and now I'm stuck with the beginning of baseball season and the interminable NBA and NHL playoffs. Have half-heartedly been watching all three this weekend.

That's my dispatch for now. Take care, all.

No comments: