Wednesday, January 5, 2022

A few observations about Germany (Part One?)

We returned from Germany on December 30, and I feel that I need to just dump whatever impressions I have now before I forget them, so here are some thoughts I have in no particular order. Many of these will be superficial observations.

Christmas decorations: I like the German approach to Christmas decoration. They are subdued and tasteful. I particularly love the Moravian stars that one sees everywhere in Germany. Germans don't seem to go for the garish and over-the-top decorations that Americans love.

I became obsessed with German toilets and the flushing mechanisms that are built into the wall: one large white rectangular button for "#2" and a smaller white button for "#1." I noticed some variations (in a public restroom in in Meißen, a large oval-shaped button with a smaller oval-shaped button within the large button).

I also enjoyed the similarly shaped light switches. As I mentioned on Facebook, it felt as if I was living in a life-size Playmobil or LEGO house.

Germans don't have screens on their windows. I will need to investigate why this is. (Not that it's a big deal, but I wonder if they are somehow not concerned with insects or birds entering their homes?).

As if this couldn't be more obvious, the German public transportation system leaves the United States in the dust. Our train trip from Coswig to Leipzig (and back) was quite relaxing.

I don't think I'd ever eaten goose in my entire life until leaving for Germany. I ate it twice (including Christmas Day) while in Germany and it was delicious.

Germany takes Covid very seriously. One must present proof of vaccination to enter any public place, so the unvaccinated are essentially shut out of public life, and I am completely fine with that. I am in favor of doing this in the United States, but of course there would be an inevitable shit storm from all the crazies in this country.

No comments: