Sunday, January 9, 2022

A few observations about Germany (Part Two)

N's parents enjoy walking and hiking--a lot. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining at all. If you want to know why Europeans are, generally speaking, in much better physical condition than Americans, look no further than how much and how often they walk. We took a long walk to the communal cemetery the first day we were there, walked all over Dresden the next day, hiked up to the bluff overlooking Radebeul, and hiked well over three miles in Moritzburg on Christmas Day. 

By the way, I will never get over how freakin' cool it was to be at an honest-to-God CASTLE on Christmas Day, and then proceed to hike all over Augustus the Strong's hunting grounds. 

Speaking of hiking, the only bad part was that, at the last minute, I decided to bring a "nicer" winter coat to Germany instead of my utilitarian Dickies coat. The Dickies coat, though somewhat lacking in fashion, would have been more comfortable for all the walking we did. I also wore "nicer" shoes to Christmas dinner which, though they were reasonably okay for hiking, were still less than ideal.

The upshot of all this is that next time--and I sincerely hope there is another trip to Germany in the not-too-distant future--I will know exactly what kinds of clothes and shoes to bring AND leave behind.

Somebody at work asked for my favorite part of the trip. There are so many that it's hard to choose. I suppose for sheer beauty, I will go with Meißen. The architecture, history, and views were all astounding.

The most profound aspect of the trip was living with N and her parents, H. and K. (I hope using only first initials doesn't come off as ridiculous. As I wrote before, I feel they deserve a degree of anonimity here). 

I have yet to mention much about meals. In H. and K.'s home, breakfast is a big deal. Every morning (even when not entertaining guests from the U.S.) they all eat breakfast at the dining room table. It is quite a spread, with bread, croissants, rolls, various jams ("marmalades"), juices, deli meats, meat spreads, fruit, and coffee. (I must say how thrilled we were to learn that the W. family drink as much java as we do--and we drink it like water). Lunch is served at the dining room table at about 2 or 3 PM, and is a grander affair--closer to what we would refer to as dinner/supper in the States. The final meal of the day takes place at about 8 PM--once again at the dining room table--and is lighter fare similar to the breakfast spread. However, the W.'s like to drink beer and/or wine at this later meal. (N.' father H. is particularly fond of Czech beers. I noted his favorites and will try and remember to add them in here later). [Edit: Budvar and Pilsner Urquell].

I am not sure if the W.'s meal pattern represents what most in Germany do or if it is just what they like to do. Whatever the case, I had no complaints.

I will conclude this post and perhaps write another "Germany/Saxony observation" post later.

No comments: