Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Golden Globes, doctors, and Talk Talk

I am watching The Golden Globes tonight because I need to "veg out" a little bit and, believe it or not, am actually interested in who wins these awards. I think I've seen enough of the movies and TV shows that I have a stake in who the winners are. For example, as I write this Quinta Brunson is accepting the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Television Show, and I am very happy for her. She deserves it, as Abbott Elementary is one of the best shows on TV and one of the few decent offerings from the Big Three major networks.

It's been a long day. I started it out by going to the doctor--no big deal, just reestablishing being a patient with the GP I had sort of lost contact with over the last few years. I really liked her, but Covid sort of threw everything out of whack and I hadn't had an appointment with her in at least six years. I had tried another doctor, but the "chemistry" wasn't there and I didn't care for this other doctor's personality. I was so thrilled to be able to, once again, become a patient of my "old" doctor. 

Even though the doctor's appointment wasn't long and not terribly stressful, there was plenty of paperwork to fill out and I had to drive to work after it was over. (I know, boo-hoo). 

Oh, guess what? We had yet another fire alarm at work today. Probably somebody "smoking in the boys' room." Our "loud enough to wake the dead" alarm blared again and, as usual, just about gave everyone a heart attack. We trudged outside only to return inside about ten minutes later.

My most recent music jag is the band Talk Talk. I recently bought a three-album set that includes the band's first three albums. Mark Hollis was the mastermind of Talk Talk and he was a visionary. Talk Talk evolved from a synth-heavy new wave band (nothing wrong with that, by the way) similar to contemporaries Tears For Fears, New Order, Depeche Mode, and Duran Duran but morphed into a jazzy, spacey, otherwordly collective. Their album Spirit of Eden, which I have only recently heard in its entirety, is one of the most amazing albums I have ever encountered. No hyperbole, I swear. 

No comments: