Wednesday, November 22, 2023

SuburbsFest Revisited (Day One)

On September 28, I flew to Washington, DC for SuburbsFest, my first "fest" since 2021, when I attended the very first one, which was also in "the DMV."

I'd been experiencing some serious "FOMO" looking at all the social media posts about subsequent SuburbsFests and was particularly despondent about not being able to attend the Louisville fest in the summer. (We flew to Europe the next weekend, so there really is no way I could have made it to Louisville).

The first day's festivities were in the Brookland section of Washington at The Runaway. Wingtip Sloat, Dear Daria, and Airport 77s performed. "The Sloat" features RTS co-host Patrick Foster and at this point only perform live a few times a year. I'm not sure how to describe them. Noisy and fun? 

Dear Daria harkens back to '90s indie rock, with a band name that is a nod to the MTV animated show Daria.

Airport 77s is a high energy band with three guys who all dress like airline pilots. Their sound is reminiscent of Cheap Trick and/or the Knack, that classic late '70s power pop. 

It was fun to once again see all these crazy middle-aged music nerds I have come to know via a podcast and social media.

[This post is a work in progress--stay tuned for more details].

No comments: