Monday, January 15, 2024

Detroit Lions Win Their First Playoff Game in 32 Years!


(Erich Schlegel/The Dallas Morning News photo)

On January 5, 1992, I was 23 years old and working as "Christmas Help" at Schuler Books in Okemos, Michigan. It was a part-time job that would eventually morph into a full-time job, but I digress.

After my Sunday shift ended at 6:00 PM, I tagged along with co-workers to the venerable watering hole the Peanut Barrel to watch the last hour or so of the Detroit Lions' 38-6 walloping of the Dallas Cowboys in the National Football League playoffs. I should add that the Peanut Barrel was the unofficial bar of Schuler Books, as there was significant intermingling and crossover of Barrel and Schuler employees. There were Schuler people who had a long history with the Peanut Barrel. One of the little-known secrets of the book business is that they like to knock a few back afterhours, probably more than most other folks in the workforce (with the exception of the hard partying food industry folks).

So we gathered at the Barrel that long ago early Sunday evening and regaled in the Lions wrecking the Cowboys. Little did we know that this would be the Lions' greatest moment until yesterday, January 14, 2024. 32 years and nine days passed until the Detroit Lions won another playoff game. In the immediate aftermath of that Lions/Cowboys game, the teams headed in different directions. The Cowboys, led by Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith, went on to win Super Bowls in 1992, '93, and '95. The Lions, on the other hand, could never capture the magic of that 1991 season...until now.

I watched all of yesterday's game in the comfort of our living room. Years of Lions disappointment have taught me to never have lofty expectations. In fact, it's best not to have any expectations whatsoever. I knew that it might be best for me to constructively work off my nervous energy, so I walked on our treadmill for the entire first half of the game, occasionally yelling out my trademark "Are you fucking kidding me?!!", "Jesus Fucking Christ!!" and "Yes!! Go! Go! Go!". Those expressions comprise about 3/4 of my Lions watching repertoire of verbal responses.

Last night's game was closely contested. I finished on the treadmill at halftime and retired to the couch. When the game got especially tense in the final five minutes of playing time, I had to stand up in front of the television. I have no idea why standing in front of the TV makes those anxious moments more bearable, but it does.

(Nic Antaya/Getty Images)

When Lions quarterback Jared Goff connected with wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown for a first down with under two minutes left, the Lions' win was sealed. The Los Angeles Rams were unable to stop the clock, and all the Lions had to do was go into the tight, protective "victory formation," snap the ball a few times, and run out the clock. All of this happened, and I was overwhelmed with a warm happy sensation that surprised me. I'd think by this age, I'd be over this, but I'm not. I know the players are multi-millionaire young athletes who have no idea who I am, but I connect with that blue-and-silver uniform with "leaping lion" logo that captivated me as a kid and has variously thrilled and crushed me for almost half a century. The players may change, but the emotional connection never breaks.

(Above: ridiculous but fun AI-generated picture; Below: my mini-helmet collection)

No comments: