Monday, January 22, 2024

The Lions beat the Buccaneers

(Apologies for the font and font size. It's a bit "off" in this post).

The Detroit Lions won their second consecutive playoff game yesterday, beating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 31-23.

Before the game started at 3:00 PM, I was compelled to go out and burn off a little steam with a two-mile run. I got back home just in time for the kickoff.

The Lions' win was partially powered, on my end, by Metallica's Master of Puppets.

When my anxiety and total annoyance with game color analyst Cris Collinsworth reached its breaking point, I turned the volume off on the TV and popped in Metallica's Master of Puppets album to "soundtrack" the game. It was partially in honor of Lions coach Dan "Dantallica" Campbell, noted enthusiast of the band. I figured he'd approve. "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" was playing when the Lions scored the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter to make the score 24-17. Somehow, the lyrics of that song somewhat matched my mental state at that point in the game.



I'm sure most Lions fans can identify with this: I'm not quite sure how to handle myself in this playoff run. Sure, I've watched the NFL playoffs since I was a kid in the late '70s, but it's almost always been other teams playing or going deep into the playoffs. I've rarely had any emotional investment. This year feels like uncharted territory. Yes, we Lions fans had the 1991 season, but that was so long ago and was quickly extinguished when Washington destroyed the Lions the week after the Lions beat Dallas. It was over before it really started.

With this Lions win, I can't help but think of my Aunt Anne, who is no longer with us. She passionately loved the Lions and the Red Wings. Every Sunday, she'd proudly fly her Lions flag outside her house in the U.P., in the thick of Packer country. She would have been so thrilled by all of this. 

I can't allow myself to think about that big final game that has the initials S.B. You know, the one the Lions have never played in. It's the pinnacle that all Lions fans have dreamed of, but it has always seemed way too out of reach. When I dared think it was a possibility after the Lions beat Dallas on January 5, 1992, that dream was quickly snuffed out at RFK Stadium on January 12. I won't get my hopes up in 2024--or at least will try not to.

Still, the Lions have a legitimate shot. Sure, they are a flawed team, but every team--with the possible exception of the Baltimore Ravens--is a bit flawed this season. 

So, who knows?


No comments: