Friday, December 1, 2023

Hello December

It's December 1, which means it's time for the "31 Blog Posts of December Challenge." (By the way, there is no "challenge," it's just something I made up, like, just now. I did it last year, so why not try again.

So right now, I am watching the NBC Nightly News (yippee--more horrible scenes from Israel) and poured myself a Friday night glass of wine.

This morning, I took a break from Guadalcanal Diary and popped Depeche Mode's Memento Mori into the Mazda CX-5 CD player. "My Favourite Stranger," in particular, made a perfect soundtrack for dark, gloomy, rainy, grey 7:45 AM Lansing. The ominous foreboding sound of that song suited the morning perfectly.

No sooner do I decide to write in here than the dog has decided to trot around the house with this yellow duck "baby" and cry incessantly. It's sort of his evening tradition. As best as I can tell from reading about dog behavior, he is looking for a place to bury the duck, as if it's an animal he's killed. Yeah, pretty gruesome, I suppose. Eventually, he'll get tired of this and move on to something different--preferably crawling up into a ball and sleeping on the sofa. In any event, this routine is annoying as hell, particularly when I am trying to write. 

Aside from the morning, the day at work was not terribly eventful. I got bored with podcast listening by early afternoon and switched to music. My Spotify Wrapped for this year was 100 percent "rock," so I think that for 2024 I need to change it up a bit, so in addition to listening to the usual suspects, I also threw in Public Enemy and Wu-Tang Clan, and greatly enjoyed the Wu-Tang listening. "Bring Da Ruckus" was hitting particularly hard by about 4 o'clock in the afternoon and I had to do all in my power not to shout out, "BRING DA MOTHERFUCKIN' RUCKUS!" I'm not sure that would have gone over too well at the library. Regardless, I need to put Wu-Tang on more consistent rotation.

I will wrap this up for now. I'll be back tomorrow.


No comments: