Saturday, December 2, 2023

Spotify Wrapped

Another December tradition is annoying the living hell out of everyone on social media with ones "Spotify Wrapped" results (if one listens to music or podcasts on Spotify). 

With the death of Stitcher, and the irritation that is Amazon music, I have moved most of my streaming listens to Spotify. And yes, I know that Spotify is yet another evil empire that we aren't supposed to like or support. I know that Spotify is problematic and that it pays musicians a pittance. I don't like that at all. But when I'm at work, I have to stave off boredom by streaming music and podcasts. I also enjoy listening to podcasts while walking or running. It feels like I'm eavesdropping on someone else's fascinating conversations and keeps my mind active while I'm either freezing, sweating, or dodging potholes in the pavement and cars on the street.

I also don't pay for a Spotify subscription, so I just put up with the advertisements that run every 20 or 30 minutes during music streaming and pop occasionally during podcasts. 

As you all should know by now, I spend quite a bit on concert tickets, albums, CDs, and merch, so I do more than my share to support the artists I love. So I don't feel too guilty streaming music on Spotify once in a while. It helps pass the time and sometimes turns me on to new music.

That said, the vast majority of my Spotify streaming is dedicated to podcast listening, so I shall present to you--in reverse order--my top five podcasts (according to the Spotify overlords):

5) Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard. This one surprised me a bit. I didn't expect it to make the top five. Actor (and husband of Kristin Bell) Dax Shepard hosts this podcast with co-host Monica Padman. I don't listen too often to their interview episodes, but mainly enjoy their sidekick David Farrier, who does sort of an auxiliary "Armchair Expert' podcast called Flightless Bird. In Flightless Bird, Farrier takes on various aspects of American life through the eyes of a Kiwi (a flightless bird, get it?) from New Zealand. So topics of Flightless Bird have been barbecue, fantasy football, cars, health care, (to name a few). Farrier comes off as a sweet, funny, and sometimes naive guy, which adds to the entertainment value. He is also genuinely curious about "learning what makes this country tick" as he puts it.

As far as the actual main Armchair Expert episodes, my favorites are the "Armchair Anonymous" ones in which Dax and Monica invite listeners to talk about embarrassing or shocking events in their lives. These are based on prompts that Armchair Expert sends out, usually of a lighthearted, funny, or gross-out nature. Recent topics have been "piercing and tattoos," "bartending," "babysitting," and "Halloween." Some of the stories people share are doozies and defy credulity. Still, they are funny and entertaining.

4) The Watch. In the four years I have been doing "Spotify Wrapped," this is the first appearance of The Watch. This surprises me, because I think I've been listening to it fairly consistently for years. Hosted by longtime friends Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald, The Watch is a witty and often hilarious look at the business and creative aspects of television. Chris Ryan is an editor at The Ringer and Andy Greenwald is a journalist, writer, screenwriter, and TV producer. Chris and Andy have great chemistry and I enjoy that just as much, if not more, than the topics they discuss.

3) Bandsplain. Making its first ever appearance in my "Wrapped." I love this show. Host Yasi Salek is funny and smart and really does her homework. Okay, talk about burying the lede. You might want to know what the podcast is about. Eh? Every week, Yasi and a guest take a deep dive into the life/lives and career of a musical artist. The most recent episode was an epic four-hour investigation of Blondie, and it was worth every single minute. My favorite episode of all, though, was the one about The Slits--and I'm not even a particularly big fan of The Slits. It was just THAT well-researched and thoughtful.

2) WTF with Marc Maron. The third time in four years that WTF has made my top five. It somehow missed in 2021 and I can only assume it was because I was listening to WTF on Stitcher and not Spotify. What more can be said about WTF, it is arguably the Granddaddy of all podcasts and I have been a loyal listener for well over a decade. This is the highest finish WTF has ever had in my Spotify Wrapped.

1) The Big Picture. This is The Big Picture's third consecutive appearance in my Spotify Wrapped top five and the first time it has ever landed the top spot. Another in The Ringer's large stable of podcasts, this one is hosted by Sean Fennessey and Amanda Dobbins. Sean and Amanda, who also possess great chemistry (I am half expecting to discover at some point that they are having an affair), talk about all things movie-related. They are funny, erudite, and playfully combative at times. 

As for podcasts that did not make the list, I have absolutely no idea how Rockin' the Suburbs missed the top five. I am pretty sure I have listened to almost every episode this year. I can only assume that Spotify Wrapped is based on total minutes, and RTS--with episodes that usually only clock in at 15-20 minutes, just didn't have enough minutes to make the top five. I feel a little bad that RTS missed the top five and almost feel an apology is in order.

Tomorrow, I will publish by Spotify Wrapped Top Five podcasts for 2020, 2021, and 2022.

No comments: