Thursday, December 7, 2023

I saw some Christmas lights...and they were okay

I got my 10,000 steps in and just flossed and brushed my teeth, so writing in here is my final "chore" before crashing in an hour or two.

We made our annual trip to the Christmas lights at the Potter Park Zoo. It was fine. I don't get overly excited about it and eventually get bored and cold and ready to leave after about an hour. My attitude is generally, "yep, there's some lights...and there's some more lights. Yep, they're shiny and bright...okay, let's go home now." I will say that the spider monkeys 🐒 in their enclosure were pretty damned entertaining, perhaps more than the Christmas lights. (Overheard one grade school-age kid say, "Is that monkey eating...poop?!?"). 

Yes, I know my blase attitude about the Christmas lights must sound like a combination of Scrooge and the Grinch.


I started reading yet another graphic novel. Lest you think I'm regressing mentally reading all these glorified comic books, this book takes place in Flint in 1986 and is about a youth hockey team. I saw the book come through my department at the library and upon inspection felt seen by the setting and subject matter. I was further sold by the accuracy of place names (Carman-Ainsworth High School, Lake Fenton, IMA Sports Arena, to name a few). Though I didn't play youth hockey, I knew a kid who did and I saw him play some games at Flint's IMA Sports Arena (which still exists under a different name).

The book is called Strikers, and I think I should be able to knock it out in a day or two.

No comments: