Thursday, December 28, 2023

Saltburn

I actually will get back to that Simple Minds post at some point--maybe this weekend. No promises, but I will try.

I also realize that I promised to list my Spotify Top Five podcasts from the previous few years. I haven't forgotten about that.

 
Tonight, I decided to watch the movie Saltburn, which is now streaming on Amazon Prime. It could probably be subtitled "The Talented Mr. Quick" due to its similarity to The Talented Mr. Ripley.

Barry Keoghan plays Oliver Quick, an awkward Oxford student who wants desperately to fit in with the uppercrust students. He becomes infatuated with the handsome, confident, and filthy rich Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi, of Euphoria). Eventually, Oliver and Felix become friends, culminating in Felix inviting Oliver to spend the summer with Felix and his eccentric family at the Catton's enormous English estate. Felix's parents are played brilliantly by Richard E. Grant and Rosamund Pike.

As soon as Oliver arrives at Felix's mansion, strange and disturbing events take place. Oliver's obsession with Felix might be going too far, and Oliver just might not be who he seems. [No spoilers].

While I did find the movie a bit muddled, I also found it frequently funny and entertaining.

No comments: