Monday, December 18, 2023

Reading update

Remember when I said I would pick up Absolute Beginners?

I lied.

Okay, I didn't really lie. I fully intended on resuming with Absolute Beginners...but on Friday, my library hold for Daniel Clowes' new book, Monica, came in; and my hold for a short story collection by Michigan author RS Deeren's short story collection, Enough to Lose.

I generally try to read anything Daniel Clowes publishes, since he is my favorite cartoonist/comix artist/comix author/graphic novel person.

So, I am reading yet another graphic novel.

I have to get over my constant downplaying of graphic novels/comix. I do love them, but there is a part of me that snobbily and unfairly doesn't quite consider them "real" books. (Yet, as I said, I enjoy them quite a bit and have to get over this notion that they are somehow "less important" than non-illustrated books).

I am about 2/3 of the way through Monica and then should at least try the Deeren book to see if I like it. He's from the Thumb and I think that is where most or all of these stories are set. I found that intriguing when the book crossed my desk at work.

I swear, though, that I will eventually return to Absolute Beginners. I have to FINALLY finish the Colin Macinnes "London Trilogy" 25+ years after I started it (and more than 60 years after it was written).

No comments: