Saturday, December 23, 2023

Simple Minds

I recently acquired this "Classic Album Series" collection of the band Simple Minds. During this tough week, Simple Minds was my soundtrack during my drives between Lansing, Owosso, and Flint. I started from the arty, decidedly non-poppy, Roxy Music/Krautrock-inspired Sons and Fascination, into the ever-so-slightly bouncier New Gold Dream 81 82 83 84, on to the even tighter Sparkle In the Rain, and then the post-"Don't You Forget About Me" blockbuster LP Once Upon a Time. Once Upon a Time features the hits "Alive and Kicking," "Sanctify Yourself," and "All the Things She Said." (The collection also includes the band's 1989 album Street Fighting Years, but I haven't gotten to that one yet).

I wish I could say I was "cool" and was on board with Simple Minds pre-"Don't You Forget About Me," but that would be a lie. I didn't know who they were until that song became a hit in summer 1985, and I bought the 45 RPM single at the Woolworth in Caro, Michigan. (I still have it). It was in the fall of '85 that Once Upon a Time was released, and I eventually bought the vinyl. It was one of a handful of albums I played the hell out of until the gamechanger of R.E.M.'s Life Rich Pageant in summer 1986.

To be continued...

No comments: