Saturday, December 17, 2022

Feeling kinda Christmas-y maybe

It's feeling a little bit more Christmas-like the last few days. For one thing, we have SNOW now and it's cold. I also had my annual holiday potluck at work yesterday afternoon.

L. found a Christmas tree after work yesterday. Conveniently, the biggest tree farm in the area is literally across the street from her office. We put the tree in its base today and L. did about 90 percent of the decorating and I did maybe 10 percent. I know, that's bad. My problem is I put about two ornaments on the tree and then get either distracted or bored. Then I putz around for 5-10 minutes before resuming with another few ornaments. I'm also afraid I'll put the ornaments in a bad location on the tree and that gives me some anxiety. 

Later this afternoon, I grinded out a four-kilometer run to get my week total up beyond 16.2 km/10 miles. The pavement was slicker and icier than I expected, so I needed to be careful. The last thing I want is to wipe out and fall on my ass in freezing weather.

When I got back from running, we drove over to the theater to see the movie Violent Night. As I put it on Facebook, if you are in the mood for a a wild and raucous Christmas movie, then definitely check it out. However, if the notion of an ultra-violent, take-no-prisoners, ass-kicking Saint Nick fills you with revulsion, then this flick will not be your cup of Christmas tea. I had a lot of fun, though. I particularly appreciated that Violent Night pays homage to other holiday classics like Die Hard--basically the entire premise of the movie is a nod to Die Hard--as well as Home Alone and A Christmas Story. (The female villain is reminiscent of the "mean department story elf" in A Christmas Story). Oh, and there is some good stunt casting in having Beverly D'Angelo (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation) as the foul-mouthed matriarch of the rich family taken hostage by John Leguizamo's bad guys. (John Leguizamo is basically "Hans Gruber" to David Harbour's "John McClane").


As I write this, it's 11:30 PM and I'm watching this insane Buffalo Bills/Miami Dolphins football game from a snowy and exuberant Highmark Stadium in metropolitan Buffalo. So, before the glare of this computer screen throws off my circadian rhythms (or whatever), I bid you farewell for the evening.

No comments: