Friday, December 2, 2022

Sentimental sap

Hey, how about this! I am about to post my second consecutive blog post.

Here's an observation: The older I get, the more sentimental I become. The oddest and most unexpected things move me: For instance, today at work I was cataloging a new children's book about Robert McCloskey and the creation of the book Make Way for Ducklings. In the back of the book was a small section about sculptures of the ducklings that were installed in a Boston park in 1985. McCloskey was apparently dubious of the sculptures until he saw children playing on them. That was the trigger that set me off. A few tears were shed. A voice inside my head said, "Seriously, dude?!" But it is what it is. I am an old softie. I mean, I've always had a tendency towards sentimentality, but it's become more pronounced than ever the last few years. Is it because of the pandemic? Is it because I'm getting older? I really don't know.


No comments: