Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Movies and television

In recent years in December, I maniacally try to catch up with all the movies I should have seen during the year but have fallen behind on seeing. So, last night, I/we caught Ticket to Paradise on the Peacock streaming service. It was a perfectly fine "turn off your brain after work" type of screwball romp. There are plot holes a-plenty and a script that is a bit half-baked, but it is enjoyable to see the George Clooney and Julia Roberts chemistry on screen. Anyone who liked those two in the Oceans series of movies will be at least reasonably entertained by Ticket to Paradise.

I will more than likely, either on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, list my favorite movies of the year in this blog. This was a year in which I thought the television shows offered by the streaming services were, in general, much better than movies. So I am just warning you that even with my intense December catch-up, I'll probably have still missed a large swath of movies.

As for TV shows, I'll list my favorites of the year, since I watched an obscene number of shows this year--and even so, still feel as if I have missed plenty of good ones. It really has been a banner year for TV, and by TV I'm mainly talking about the stuff on Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+, HBO, HBO Max, and Apple+. Aside from PBS and the syndicated Jeopardy!, Abbott Elementary (on ABC) is the only show I like on old fashioned network television.

In case you're wondering, I do still read books and have not quit reading permanently after finishing the Isherwood book. I started Donna Tartt's The Secret History, and should probably end this blog post so I can return to it.

No comments: