Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Funny Cat Videos, Kung Pao Chicken takeout, Days off, and Top Gun: Maverick

We're back to doing what we usually do when older son is home: watching funny YouTube videos. In this particular case, it's cat videos. The sheer variety of strange and goofy cats is astounding.

Earlier, we ate Thai takeout while watching the series The Mosquito Coast (starring Justin Theroux) which is good--much better than I expected. (We generally find some new show to watch when he's home. It has often been anime, but not always).

This week is weird because I'm only working two days: today and tomorrow. I took Thursday off to go to the Detroit Institute of Arts for the Van Gogh exhibit they are having. That should be fun, fascinating and I will give a report here. Friday is a day off because New Year's Eve is on a Saturday and that's a normal day off for me. So Friday is basically "the holiday." And the same is true for Monday, a day off because New Year's Day is on Sunday. Is that boring enough for you?

Now we have exhausted all of today's funny cat videos and are on to Red Letter Media's funny review of Rob Zombie's The Munsters trailer. The trailer does look cheap and terrible, so I'm not sure what the movie is like. Maybe the low budget look is the point? I don't know. Maybe I will need to watch it, since it's on Netflix.

So last night, we watched Top Gun: Maverick on Amazon Prime. It was a joyride, even if a healthy amount of disbelief is required to enjoy it. This starts with the notion that Tom Cruise's character (Maverick) can a) fly an airplane at Mach 10 and b) eject from said airplane without dying instantaneously. Spoiler alert: Maverick successfully ejects from his burning supersonic jet airplane and survives. That is, unless you subscribe to the theory that Maverick actually dies when attempting to eject and the rest of the movie is Maverick's view from the afterlife. The next completely ridiculous part of the movie is the mission that Maverick and the Top Gun pilots undertake in the last 45 minutes or so of the movie. As fun as it is to watch--and it probably looks even better on a big screen--it reminded me of the outrageous war stories I wrote when I was in sixth grade: entertaining but with little to no basis in reality. 

Overall, I give Top Gun: Maverick about an 8 out of 10. Fairly mindless entertainment.

No comments: